Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Below are answers to common questions that home or business owners may have when considering chimney and fireplace work.
Why should I use Swept Away Chimney?
Do I need to be home for the appointment with Swept Away Chimney?
What do I look for in a chimney professional?
Swept Away Chimney recognizes that your biggest investment is your home. Our certified chimney professionals will advise you of the conditions that exist within the chimney system(s). Swept Away Chimney realizes that, as a home owner, you have many factors to consider before hiring a chimney professional. Some of these factors should include selecting a chimney professional who can provide:
- A current CSIA credential (Chimney Safety Institute of America issues a photo certification credential). Be sure that the technician actually performing the work has the credential (go to CSIA.org).
- A contract that exactly details the scope of work and the timeline for services rendered.
- Current certificates of liability insurance and worker’s compensation insurance.
I have proposals from many chimney sweeps. Why are the prices so different?
Like anything else, prices for chimney projects can vary greatly due to many variables. Some points to keep in mind as you sort through various proposals and their respective prices:
- Are the proposals all recommending the same solutions?
- It’s the “apples to apples” concept. Be sure the proposals scope out the same job. For example, if your chimney is leaking, are you getting a “patch job” which may do nothing more than delay the inevitable larger rebuild, or is the proposal for a full rebuild?
- What materials are being used?
- Are the liners the correct size for your fireplace, furnace, wood burning stove or any other appliance? Is the liner the proper gauge? Is it UL approved?
- Is the contractor fully licensed and insured?
- Will the contractor commit to the proposal in writing?
- Does the proposal fully explain the project and explain it in language you can easily understand?
How can I pay for Swept Away Chimney services?
How do I know your quoted price is the final price I will pay?
Is Swept Away Chimney insured?
What is creosote?
There are three types, or classifications, of creosote:
Stage 1 creosote is almost like a powder form. It is easily removed by brushing and can even be brushed off with the stroke of the hand. This is the simplest form of creosote, sometimes referred to as “soot,” and is the easiest to remove with a chimney cleaning.
Stage 2 creosote begins to take a black flake-like formation. This type of creosote is crunchy, looks almost like black foam, and begins to block the chimney flue. Stage 2 creosote can still be brushed off; however, it may require a power cleaning. This type of creosote is dangerous because it blocks the flue, holding in more heat, and is extremely flammable. Any chimney with stage 2 build-up is at high risk for a chimney fire.
Stage 3 creosote is a combination of stage 1 and stage 2 that has been heated enough to cause it to melt. It appears like a black shiny glass, or molasses syrup, and it can be sticky to the touch. This type of creosote is extremely dangerous and will cause a chimney fire. It is common to have all three stages of creosote in a chimney that has been neglected.
Stage 3 creosote can be removed with a power cleaning, but often requires a chemical cleaning as well. The chemical cleaning is performed over the course of 1–3 weeks, depending on the severity of the build-up. Removing creosote is the only way to keep your family and chimney safe if you are planning you use your fireplace.
Do unused chimneys require periodic inspections?
Can exterior chimney work be done in winter?
Why does my fireplace stink?
I have birds in my chimney. What should I do?
Call us today
Make an appointment with Swept Away Chimney for an inspection of your chimney and receive a detailed explanation of your chimney service options.
Swept Away removed my old gas fireplace and installed a much larger wood burning unit. Communication was excellent, and the whole team cared about keeping my home clean during construction. Some minor damage was done to my home accidentally during construction, but Swept Away quickly owned it and fixed the problem without any questions or complaints.
Spencer showed up on time to give an estimate that wound up being $50.00 less than the closest competitor. (I got three estimates.) He took his iPad up to the chimney and took pictures explaining what needed to be repaired. He then completed the repair and showed me pictures of the completed work. These young men were very professional and even thanked my husband for his service in the military. We will definitely use them in the future for repairs or cleaning service.
Our Service Area:Acworth, Adairsville, Alpharetta, Atlanta, Austell, Brookhaven, Canton, Cartersville, Chamblee, Cumming, Dallas, Decatur, Doraville, Douglasville, Duluth, Dunwoody, East Point, Emerson, Hiram, Holly Springs, Jasper, Johns Creek, Kennesaw, Lawrenceville, Lilburn, Lithia Springs, Lithonia, Loganville, Mableton, Marietta, Milton, Mountain Park, Norcross, Powder Springs, Roswell, Sandy Springs, Smyrna, Snellville, Stone Mountain, Suwanee, Tucker, Waleska, and Woodstock.